Saturday, July 27, 2013

Things Don't Change

I've been reading a lot of newspapers from the 1910s for some research I'm doing. A couple weeks ago when Rolling Stone magazine released their August 2013 issue with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev on the cover people expectedly were angry. Many felt that the cover and article glorified him. But this isn't anything new. With the research I've been doing on American anarchy of the 1910s, I've read many articles about a young anarchist named Becky Edelson. One article from the New York Tribune on May 10, 1914 was a rather flattering profile asking similar questions to those that the Rolling Stone asked about Tsarnaev. I'm sure 1914 Americans were angered by the article, too.

I transcribed the NY Tribune article on my research blog.

But I imagined what the NY Trib's cover would be like if it were done in the manner of Rolling Stone's cover. I used actual news stories from the Trib's May 10, 1914 edition for the other headlines. The questions under the words "THE ANARCHIST" were from the actual article, as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment